Saturday, May 14, 2011

"All that I have in life is a little time."

Life will be whatever it wants to be, and not necessarily what we want.
I want only to savor it - to move in its flow both carefully and trustingly.
Quotes from Flying Without Wings (1989) by Arnold Beisser, MD

My dear friend, Jay Levin, had suggested a number of times that I visit he and his wife, Consie, in South Africa. But it wasn't until I learned that the family was emigrating to the United States that I took advantage of the offer. It was one of the outstanding adventures of my life and I'd be privileged  to spend more of my life time there.

Reflections of the visual kind were not in abundance, but I was moved by the animals in the wild and by the spirit and resilience of the people who had suffered displacement during apartheid - creating a bed and breakfast in the middle of abject poverty, a soup kitchen where a chicken or carrot could replace payment for a bowl of soup (free to children), students for whom a school chorus for visitors was far superior to singing on a street corner, women making and selling jewelry to those who dared enter their homes.

I also learned more about Jan Christian Smuts, South African statesman and philosopher, who wrote of the concept of holism in nature and its creative evolution - like that of Gestalt - that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. This perspective led him to support both the League of Nations and the United Nations.

Below are some reflections from Kruger National Park and Cape Town. If you have a few minutes, visit Safari Supper South Africa for a short film.  













No comments: