Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Note From Tokyo...

All classes cancelled at my studio, so I am going to West Japan to teach in April. It was quite a big shake here in Tokyo, too, and some old buildings were damaged badly, our house was OK, but have a couple of cracks on the exterior and interior walls, but nothing major.  A lot of things are not same as before anymore, but we are trying to be normal as much as we can right now.... it will take forever to rebuild, but we can do it!  Mami Kelly April 2011

I'm dedicating this post to my friend, Mami, who was my Tokyo guide in 2000. My only round-the-world trip began with working in Greece, flying to South Africa, then on to Singapore and Australia where What's Behind the Empty Chair? was screened.  On my return to Los Angeles, I had a brief stop over in Tokyo. Steve of Eat Magazine introduced me to Mami - at the time a fabulous jeweler who was also interested in Gestalt therapy. It was fast and furious 36 hours, including a celebration sushi dinner for the magazine's first issue, a sleep over in a small pre-war home where everything was organized meticulously and completely, and a thrilling night ride through the streets of Tokyo on the biggest motorcycle I had ever seen.  As a bonus, Mami agreed to make a piece of jewelry for me in exchange for my video. She now works in the field of psychology. Here are a few reflections from that trip.

The Glass City


Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall


Singapore - Lion City


Land of the Setting Sun


Raffles in a Black Cab



Singapore's Growing Skyline



Peace in the Midst of Many

1 comment:

martine@martinelouisedesign said...

oooh the black cab is my fave - for a number of reasons! ;o) Your pics reminded me of a reflection pic I took in Japan. Must dig it out for you! xx